Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Looking Up

I just finished up my second day teaching at Cenarte. Today was pretty wonderful. They invited me to come early to have lunch with them, which is really nice considering my limited resources at home. I have an ever changing group of students due to their scheduled rehearsal times and dance classes, but everyone is really eager to learn. They all know each other very well and are pretty outgoing and funny. I wrote out a pretty extensive lesson plan to introduce the alphabet today, but I barely got into it because we had such a good time with my warm up and review activities. I now know that the students are "false beginners," meaning that they've studied English sometime in the distant past, have forgot it all, but catch on super quick once it starts to come back. I wasn't really sure what to expect until the first class! All is good though. One girl even gave me a homemade chocolate after class. Yes!

My classroom

They asked me to stay to watch one of their dance classes. The teacher Greyson had been in my English class just today. He has the most advanced English of anyone I've met so far there. He's an amazing dancer, and I really enjoyed watching the class. I haven't been in a ballet class since middle school!

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, in more grandiose, life-changing news, I got accepted into an English teaching program in Spain through their Ministry of Education!


I applied for the grant last November and have been waiting for a response ever since. Thank you to all of the friends and family who supported me during that painful period of not knowing what the hell I was going to do for the next year of my life! I was assigned to the state Castilla y León, home to cities such as Salamanca and Valladolid, which I actually have not visited! I'm so excited. I think that starts in September, and I'll be there for 9 months. Life is good.


View Larger Map

5 comments:

  1. I literally yelled "yesssss! Thank god! " in the Denver airport when I read this. Everyone looked at me like I was insane. I am SO excited! Besos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Lauren!

    I think we all are jumping up and down with this news of Spain! Fantastico!
    Your day in class sounded really fun and productive. I love that you get
    a chance to be such a help to your studuents in their specific need. They have
    an exciting time coming up and they will remember your inputs with smiles!

    Keep up the great work!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren that is the best news ever about Spain, your plan is coming together beautifully. I know you're not there yet, but can we come visit you in Spain? Reading your blogs about Brazil and all the adjustments you are going through makes me think you are a natural teacher, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news Lauren! so glad that worked out. your mom and I are at the condo and enjoying life here immensely. tomorrow I am going to take a kite boarding. Class...can't wait! hope you had a great day. love you, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big YES! Congratulations Lauren! I couldn't be more happy for you... and Dustin too! It was so good to see your face and hear your voice this morning (Skype). We are lucky to have Dustin here so we can all see you together. It sounds like a challenging yet fun class you have but I hope you are able to change your Saturday hours. Take care....love you Beckie

    ReplyDelete