Friday, May 11, 2012

The Lead Up

In just 48 hours I'll find myself at the Atlanta Airport. For once I'll be checking a bag. I tried to condense 2 months in Brazil into a carry-on, but all of the teaching materials I'm bringing demanded more space. As a frequent international traveler and daughter of two pilots, I'm definitely ashamed. So, with a larger bag than I'm comfortable admitting that I own I'll be heading down to Brazil for the summer this Sunday evening, also known as Mother's Day. (Love you, Mom!)

When I tell people I'm going to Brazil, the reaction is either, "Be careful. It's dangerous!" or "Oh, you're going to Rio?"

Thank you for all the warnings based mostly on sensationalist news-headline reading and the occasional documentary viewing, I do appreciate them. And yes, I will be careful. Just as I'm careful in Atlanta or anywhere else!

Rio? Well, no, I'm not going to live there, but hopefully I will visit!

Another question I get asked a lot is, "How'd you land this internship?" To answer this question, and to hopefully calm the anxiety of many a family member, I got the internship through the student organization AIESEC. I had to go through an application and interviewing process (and yes, there was even a fee!) to be accepted by the organization. Then, I was allowed to peruse their listings of internships (both paid and non-paid, imagine!) anywhere from Portugal, to Thailand, to, well, Brazil.

I found a lot of listings in South America, my ideal location when starting my search, but the listing in Goiania, Brazil really caught my attention. It advertised teaching English classes to children (14 and under, I'm told) in a small organization called Cenarte, which encourages the arts in the community. I was pretty smitten with this listing since it combined teaching English, my ideal profession at the moment, with my varied, artistically inclined interests, worthy of any dilettante.

View Larger Map
I, of course, sent an email of interest and eventually had an interview over Skype. It was successful, and here I am, months later, almost ready to go. Yeah, I'm not really done packing.

Anyway, I'll be updating hopefully a couple times a week, so stay tuned to see what the whole experience will be like. It's an interim in Brazil, to be sure, but its impact, I have a feeling, will be anything but temporary.

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures and exciting stories. Te amo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI THERE! It's Lori, Dustin's pal! I'm excited to hear about your journey! It's such an amazing experience to be able to immerse yourself in another culture! YOU LUCKY DEVIL YOU! Good luck and be a huge sponge. But I'm sure that was in the cards anyway! xx,Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to joining you vicariously through this blog. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stigma associated with bag checking in your family. Sounds like there will be a lot of unknowns you'll get to share with us, looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Beckie's good friend from Sisters, Oregon. What a wonderful opportunity - best wishes on your exciting adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing if for myself. Scope out the good places for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren,

    I work with Beckie at YP.Com
    What an incredible experience! Have fun, learn lots and of course be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren, I am a friend of Beckie's, I heard about your adventure, Congratulation!! Sharon Henifin

    ReplyDelete