Sunday, May 20, 2012

Weekend Fun


So, I ended my last post before the sun set, but as everyone can imagine, I didn't go to bed so early. I actually had a really nice couple of hours hanging out with Bruna's sister Angelica who lives right across the hall. She made me dinner, and we talked our way around any language barriers. She doesn't speak English as well as Bruna, but she's awesome. After dinner, I went out with Bruna and two of her friends to El Club, one of the "alternativo" places to go here in Goiania. The owner converted a house into a club, so the main area is a large open air patio with a pool (which I was told no one uses). There's a small room in the back for dancing. Probably the coolest things about the place were:

1. fingerprint scanners that keep track of how much you're spending on the entry fee and drinks 
2. the wall art: pretty intricate street art style, and the ladies' restroom was painted neon green with black outlines of dinosaurs.
They had various DJs throughout the night that played a mix of Brazilian and American hip hop and rap. I kind of won the spot light when one DJ put on "Lonely Boy" by the Black Keys. My insane, spastic dancing and the fact that I sang every word to TLC's "No Scrubs" and Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" definitely won me the big fat label of FOREIGN. I mean, what would you have done? I hung out there until about 5am.


On Saturday I was invited to visit a girl named Marina's family "farm" outside of the city. It's more like a really nice ranch style house. Her grandfather owns a ton of land there, as well as cows, pigs, chickens, and even acres of cotton surrounding the place. It was a lot of fun. I met an AIESEC intern named Anna from Mexico and got to practice my Spanish a lot with her. There were about 7 other people (gente boa!) there besides Marina's family. I saw the biggest frog of my life on the patio that night and got to drink champagne while swimming in the heated pool. Awesome time!

Look at how flippin' beautiful this place is. I feel like the sky is bigger here, completely dominating the landscape, which is just soft, rolling hills and greenery everywhere. There are also killer sunsets every night. It's so wonderful.


I'm pretty sure I'm starting work tomorrow. Amanda is coming over at noon to help me find my way on the bus. I hope it goes well! Enjoy the pictures.




6 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous pictures of the ranch. Looking forward to seeing where you live, and pictures of your friends. Hope your first day teaching goes well tomorrow. I am headed to bed...gotta get up early, deadhead to Detroit, than on to Seoul. Have a great week, Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double wow, your photos are amazing and the sky...insanely beautiful. Hope your bus trip home went smoothly and took you home safely. Love you, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos! :) Got the link from Beckie in the cubicle next door!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos, love. Wish I could have been there dancing with you. We could have been totally foreign together. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drinking champagne in a heated pool, breathtaking skies, and a giant frog. Wow is right. You are in a special place and thanks so much for sharing it with us. I am very happy for you, enjoy. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren,
    That countryside is amazing!
    I want to sit under that tree in the photo with the dog! How lovely!
    Make a list for us to do/see when I arrive. We will have a great time!
    (Please include champagne!)
    Missing you as always, but I am so proud of your independence and integrity!
    Keep them laughing!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete