Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Back to Our Scheduled Programming

Ok, so now that I've got all of the setbacks out of my system, let's get back to normal life. The housing issue has resolved itself thanks to an AIESECer named Delano and a former (current?) AIESECer and good friend Amanda. Thanks to them I'm living with a girl named Carol whom I met my first weeks here. Remember that cool trip out to the farm? Champagne and swimming pools? Beautiful landscape photos? Yep, met her there.

I mean, how can you forget?

I stayed at Amanda's last night after I finished packing up all my things at Bruna's. Amanda lives on the west side of Goiania, so rather far from where I work and the places I know best. She lives with her family, so mom, dad, and two older brothers, and they have a truly beautiful home. It's kind of modern but still with the patio style so commonly found in warm climates. Light filters in through palm trees onto white walls creating the most perfect light for a photo shoot. That kind of light is what I want in my next residence. It's so inspiring! Anyway, it was a treat staying with her. She's awesome company, and I even got my own room! I was fed amazing, movie worthy meals where the table was just overflowing with plates, pitchers, and sweets. It was like Christmas. They even have an Xbox, and when her eldest brother started to play Skyrim, well it almost felt like home! It's amazing how comforting the music of that game is. Anyone else feel the same? Besides Dustin? :P

Carol's apartment is really nice too. She lives alone in the Vila Nova district of Goiania, which is even closer to work than where I lived before! Today, it took me maybe 15 minutes to get to work instead of the usual 30. 

On Monday I decided not to go to work. I still felt pretty weak today after my battle with food poisoning? Dehydration? Really have no idea what happened. So, Amanda and I just hung out at home. She painted my nails, so I feel quite pretty. I planned a few lessons for class this week, and started a new book. I just finished The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss, and before I start the second I wanted to read something totally different. So, I chose The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut which I bought for $2 on a Kindle Daily Deal before I left the US. It's weird. I like it.


I also wanted to tell you all that I started taking ballet lessons at the west side location of Cenarte. The teacher Hayron is one of my students, so it's a hilarious change of pace to have the tables turned. I've only been to once class so far, but it was fun, if terribly difficult. Amanda went with me, and even helped me look the part, pinning my hair into place and forcing me into a leotard that made my skin red for an hour. I have to say that I did look like a ballerina. If only I could dance!

Ballerina for the day. HA!

Celebratory crepe post-ballet class

Bia helped me find a store to buy some ballet slippers. The first class I wore just socks, but I found out that ballet shoes are pretty cheap here: just R$ 25. So, $13. They're black. I hate pink! Amanda told me that only men wear black though, so it's a good thing I'm not a serious dancer! Just doing it for the added strength and flexibility.

I was also interviewed last week! One of the universities here in Goiania, PUC, is doing a story on people who have gone to do volunteer work abroad. I went with another local AIESECer who went to India for 2 months. I was told I was chosen for the interview because of how long I've been here (5 weeks now!) and because I look very gringa. Certeza. Up until the last minute I was really prepping myself to do the interview in Portuguese, but after seeing the other interview I realized I couldn't really explain a lot of my motivations and deeper experiences in Portuguese quite yet. English it was. It'll supposedly air on national (!) television in July.




Finally, here's a photo of Bia's birthday party! It was a great time besides me getting sick the next day. Here we are with some other students of mine.


It's hard to believe I only have 2 weeks left here. Mom is hopefully going to visit at the end of the month so we can go traveling around Brazil. Where should we go?

3 comments:

  1. Lauren Hook: Brazilian TV Star. You're going to come back to Brazil one day and there will be posters of you everywhere. People will be clamoring for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your move went smoothly, sounds like a very nice family and a nice home, pictures? You really do look like a ballerina, beautiful! Any chance of getting a copy of the TV interview, I would love to see it. You are becoming an international star! Wow only 2 more weeks, you have experienced so much, I will miss the pictures and your writing. Miss you, love, dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures, Lauren, especially you as a ballerina. Would love to see that interview. Sure seems like you have made some great friends in your short time there. Would be awesome if they could come to the states to visit some day. So glad you have had this experience. Can't imagine anyone appreciating it as much as you do. I really admire that about you.

    Make the most of the short time you have left!

    Love,

    Rick

    ReplyDelete