Friday, June 29, 2012

Let's Not Call It a Goodbye

This last week has been crazy! I worked everyday like normal, but every class was tinged with the foreshadowing of a very deep saudade that I'm going to experience once everything is over and I'm on the road. I went to ballet class again, since it was my last chance. Carol and I hung out a lot, went shopping and bought some nice things together. I cooked for her. She thought it was weird that I served garlic bread with pasta. I kind of agree with her. I saw Anne for the last time before I meet her in Rio in 2 weeks. I drank as much maracujá juice as I could stomach. I bought a pair of special shoes to commemorate this whole experience since Goiania lacks a market for touristy keepsakes. It's no coincidence they are maracujá yellow.

Ballet with Hayron. This class destroyed me.

Sunrise from Carol's apartment

Photoshoot with Carol! Was hilarious. Haha.

I unfortunately had to say goodbye to Carol early. Her classes ended earlier than she had anticipated, so she decided to head home. It was so sad saying goodbye! I came to Amanda's, which was quite a hike going to work. I sympathize completely with Anne, who has had an even longer commute into the city, and she's been doing it everyday since she arrived! At least for me, it was just two days of commuting.

Today was my last day of work! I gave a short class, adding some more practice to my abbreviated unit on understanding directions. It was just a front though. They wanted to get me out of the way so they could organize a little party! There was a lot of food, coffee, and juice, and we all took loads of photos and gave various speeches (in Portuguese of course!) about the past month and a half. I almost cried. It was so sweet! They gave me a present with chocolate, a big card, a bilingual Bible (it's a Christian organization), a t-shirt of the company... It was really special. 

The group! Mais ou menos

A nice card

I know I'm going to have some hard "reverse culture shock" when I get home. I'm going to try and relax and just enjoy the next 2 weeks of travel, but I do really feel sad already! My job here in Goiania was a dream. As hard as it was at times working alone with 0 oversight, my students were awesome, and I felt appreciated, valued, and respected. I need that in a job. If I'm just another face in the crowd, where people really don't give a damn whether I lived or died, it's really hard on me, especially when I work as hard as I do. I hope in Spain I have the same kind of warm, supportive community that I found here.

Oh, good news! Marlan and I got together again yesterday to do another photoshoot! Here are the iPhone previews.



More to come!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see you! I love brazil already
    through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never tell you enough how proud I am of you, sweetie. You've certainly had a rollercoaster ride of an experience there, but I think it just goes to remind us that sometimes you've got to go through the lowest of lows to get to the highest of highs. It's certainly not a permanent goodbye, and I fully intend for us to go to Brasil together one day! Your writing is eloquent but blunt, and through your words here, I've enjoyed an awesome vicarious experience. I can't wait to see you. I love you!
    P.S. Lets go to Mexico one day and paint our faces and dress up for día de los meurtos :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were a ballerina Lauren. Your stance looks very legit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because Hayron told me exactly how to stand. Haha!! ;)

      Delete
  4. Sure hope Spain turns out to be as good as Brazil as far as the people. Hard to top what you had there from your words and pictures. Can't wait to see you on the 15th and see all your pictures. Love you

    ReplyDelete