Sunday, June 24, 2012

Model Behavior

This past week was pretty chill. I mostly just tried to get settled in here at Carol's, like finding the nearest grocery store, finding the best route to walk to work, the buses near me...etc. I've also been trying to narrow down what I should teach these last few days of class. It's insane that I only have a week left of work! I'm going to try and tackle a lot these last 5 classes so they can get as much exposure to vocabulary and new things as possible before I leave. I'm thinking food/restaurant vocab, airport stuff, and directions.

Spent way too much time making these for the food/restaurant unit
Rehearsal after English class

Tuesday night though Amanda took me to a concert at her university (UFG). They have two campuses: one that was right near my place at Bruna's and another that is about 20 minutes outside of the city. The concert was at the farther location, and the guy playing was Chico C├ęsar. It was a lot of fun! I had been wanting some exposure to Brazilian music, so finally I got the chance!



I also finally received the package Dustin sent me! He sent it May 22, and I just got it! It took a lot longer than we thought. What's worse is that I had to pay a lot of money to claim it. Try R$186. Damn taxes. He sent me a lot of nice surprises, like Snickers and Reeses (which are quite a hit among my Brazilian friends here), as well as some more sentimental gifts. Definitely made my day!

Poor package went through all 9 levels of hell to get here!

Friday was a lot of fun. One of my students Marlan is a make-up artist as well as dancer, and he had asked me a couple of weeks ago if I'd model for him to help build up his portfolio. We decided to meet up on Friday after lunch. I brought my D70, what little make-up I have here in Brazil, as well as some jewelry to help with styling. We chose two different looks, one more natural and the other pretty heavy and 20s inspired. It was a lot of fun! I'm definitely not the best model (0 muscle control!), but we got a lot of good photos that show his work off rather nicely. He's really talented! Just 18 and he's already been doing this 3 years. I'll post some of my favorite photos from the shoot once I finish editing them!

 
Marlan and I accessorizing

Yesterday Anne and I went to Goiania's first tattoo convention. It was pretty small, but it was still neat. A lot of tattoo shops from Goiania and other cities in Brazil were there showing off their work, as well as tattooing people right there in the convention hall. There were also "best of" categories, like best back piece, black and white, "oriental," you name it. Anne and I also found out that a five pointed start on a person's left chest/shoulder area means that they're gay here in Brazil. Who knew?

 

It was great seeing Anne because this past week I laid pretty low. She's one of my favorite people that I've met here, and I'll be sad to say goodbye! After the convention we went to a nice dinner, and went to an AIESEC house party outside of the city with Amanda and Delano. It was pretty crazy, as is typical, but I had a nice time, dancing and practicing Portuguese with whoever would look at me. Everyone is always really impressed with how quickly I've picked up the language. As much as I would love to take all the credit, I know Spanish has given me an enormous head start on learning the language.  

Anne, me and Mariana at the party

It's ironic though because now when I do try to speak Spanish, which is honestly pretty often due to trainees like Ana from Mexico and other trainees from Colombia, I barely can get out the words before they automatically transform into Portuguese. I have to close my eyes, speak  slowly, and rip my brain back into its Spanish zone. It's incredibly difficult to do and rather unpleasant. I've only been here 6 weeks and Spanish has completely yielded itself to the violent influx of Portuguese. Our minds are crazy and awesome. I mean, I know that when I go to Spain in a couple of months that Spanish will come roaring back with a vengeance. I just hope I can hold onto what Portuguese I've learned. I can confidently say that in 6 weeks I've reached a very solid conversational level of speaking and an even higher level of reading. To me Portuguese is more interesting and more fun to speak anyway! When I do manage to speak Spanish correctly here, I find it to be boring and flat. Weird, huh?

3 comments:

  1. The mind of Lauren is a wonderous creation! It's been fun reading your posts Lauren. Thanks for sharing all this stuff. Can't wait to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, it's been a special treat to live your Brazilian adventure through your blog. I know you'll be traveling soon so, I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed reading your posts. I would look forward to each one in anticipation of your experiences. Your writing is so engaging and your photos so beautiful, thank you. Wishing you safe travels through Brazil. Love, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren I know you are leaving soon and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog. I learned a great deal about Brazil but I also learned some things about you. I learned how patient you are by reading how you handled all the challenges before you, I'm very impressed and proud! I also learned how resilient you are, you are amazing! Enjoy your travels and I will definitely miss "communicating with you" through your blog and pictures, thank you! Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete