Sunday, July 1, 2012

A List

So, I thought it would be funny and reflective to compile a quick list of things I'm going to miss about living in Goiania and things that...well I'm not going to miss so much! Let's start with things I won't miss so we end on a positive note!

Things I will not miss...
1. Riding the buses, which are, by law, always full.
2. Coffee made from powder that's served sweetened.
3. Small breakfasts lacking in protein.
4. Being treated like an idiot.
5. Not having air conditioning.
6. Boxed milk.
7. The general vague process for making plans.
8. Always having at least 10 mosquito bites on my legs and feet.

Things I will miss...
1. Gente boa!! My students, the friends I've made, the families that have hosted and fed me...
2. Amazing juices and fruits I've never heard of.
3. Speaking Portuguese...not to mention Engliportañol.
4. An incredible variety of sweets, like brigadeiro, cremes, and bolos (cake without icing).
5. Consistently beautiful sunsets.
6. Maracujá, otherwise known as passion fruit (juice, creme, ice cream, mousse, milkshake, even sashimi made with maracuja!)
7. The excessive use of words such as doido, loco, and bagunça, as well as their English translations (crazy and a mess).
8. Having a job that makes me feel appreciated.
9. Hearing the locals I know talk about "the Americans" and realizing they aren't referring to me.
10. Street fairs!

That's just a smattering of things I thought of off the top of my head. Can you think of anything else? I love Brasil!

3 comments:

  1. What about being called "pokemon"? -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lists. So glad you got to experiece the good things!

    ReplyDelete