Monday, January 28, 2013

Snow Day

With my return to health this past week I launched into many things I've had on my to-do list for some time: making friends via language exchanges, shopping winter sales, and playing in the snow. The latter was arranged thanks to my friend Corina. I had no idea there were ski resorts so close to us! Figure almost 2 hours. Her sister came up to visit for the weekend, so we all rented a car and headed down to Navacerrada.



View Larger Map
The drive was interesting. For one, the rental place gave us a red, sporty Alfa Romeo when we had reserved "the cheapest car in the lot." Gotta love free upgrades. Also, I had thought that the majority of the group going (5 people total) knew how to drive a manual. Not the case. It was just me and Corina's sister who knew how, and her sister, Margarita, was used to driving on the opposite side of the road. They're from Australia. So, of course, she was pretty nervous about driving. I was actually quite excited to drive until I realized I had forgotten my driver's license in my apartment. I have no idea what the Spanish police would have done to me if we had been pulled over. Luckily, I drove somewhat conservatively on the way down with no incidents.

Our arrival. So cold!

Can I just say how amazingly I drove up those winding mountain roads? I've only driven a manual in relatively flat Atlanta! These were seriously steep S turns. I should probably give most of the credit to the car, but I think I did a good job.

Clouds flew across the top of the slopes. It was really windy!

The higher we got, reaching an eventual 1900 meters or so, the foggier it got. We weren't allowed to go skiing at all that day unfortunately because the wind was gusting so hard. We made the most of it though by renting sleds and assorted snow gear. The sun came out eventually, and it turned out to be an awesome day. Skiing would have been fun, but I was pretty nervous considering I haven't gone in over a decade. I don't honestly mind being short a few bruises.

Right before a brutal sled race

The slopes at the end of the day

Wait, we're near Madrid???

Not too excited about starting another work week, but hopefully I'll set up a few intercambios to mix it up a bit. I'm also hoping to take a local trip this weekend, maybe to Salamanca again or somewhere new like León.

xo

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures of the snow, I had no idea. Nice job driving. Let me see, 5 people in a rented Alpha on a moutain road going skiing, perfect!

    ReplyDelete